Monday, January 11, 2010

Scarves Coming Out of My Ears!

For my next project I decided to make scarves for one of my favorite bands, Julien-K. They were finally playing in Milwaukee for the first time. I was stoked because I was getting tired of driving out of state everytime I wanted to see them. They are super sweet guys and fun to hang out with.

This meant that I had to knit 4 scarves in less than 2 months because I put it off for too long. It was late in the semester, into the summer, so I had to juggle knitting, classes, work, internship, moving, and social life. I began knitting almost everywhere. I knit on the bus, before classes, at the restaurant I worked at, at home, at my boyfriend's place, at our new place, and even at the bar we frequented daily. Needless to say, I had scarves coming out of my ears.

After knitting the scarves, which were very long I might add, I had to embroider the band logos on each end of the scarf. That was a whole other challenge for me. In the end, I think I made 4 cool scarves. The band loved them (at least they pretended to ;P ).



Caron Simply Soft Eco
#0034 Black
Caron Simply Soft?
White

Here is a picture of Brandon wearing his scarf:














A few days before the concert I decided I also wanted to make a baby hat for Elias' unborn son Jake. I had never made anything but scarves up until then. I busted the hat out; I was up until 6am working on it. After some sleep, I came back and finished it up. Here's the result:












TLC Baby Amoré
#9832 Lt. Blue (Dye Lot: 5176)
#9001 White (Dye Lot: 5190)
[I used the pattern on pages 56-57 of "easy baby knits - clothes & accessories for 0-3 year-olds" by Claire Montgomerie as a guide]

The rib along the middle of the hat was actually a mistake but I think it looks good anyway. I was very pleased with my first attempt at anything other than a scarf. Elias was very excited when I gave it to him.

After my knitting blowout I took a bit of a break (well deserved I thought). When i picked my needles back up a month or so later I had found that I was bit by the baby knits bug....

1 comment: